Tuesday, January 27, 2009

You don't have to grow it!

I just realized something. I am not thinking far enough outside the box. Up until now I had always though about canning and freezing in terms of saving the things that I grew in the garden. Today It occurred to me that I can also preserve a lot of things that I don't grow. In our small town we have a small but growing farmers market and they sell all sorts of things. It also occurred to me that people who don't have the room or the inclination to grow a garden can also freeze or can food that they buy at the farmers market. Something to think about.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely!

    And you can can a lot of things that we don't normally think of canning. Just take a look in a typical pantry, to see the variety of foods that can be canned.

    We don't have to depend on corporations to can chili and spaghetti sauce for us. We can make stuff like that in large batches, and can it ourselves.

    Don't you just love these eureka moments? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canning meat is something I would like to learn how to do this summer. It's far too expensive in the grocery store to be economical to stock up on, and plus the quality almost always is questionable.

    Cheese and butter can be done also, but I hear it's more difficult. I decided just to buy some canned cheese and butter for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we used to buy apples by the bushel and make applesauce and whatnot. you could do the same with tomatoes or whatnot. i bought a canner last year- have to get jars this year. i also have a book on preserving without canning or freezing- and am currently researching solar dehydrators. sun dried tomatoes and peppers and whatnot. this is a great idea this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought five things of blueberries and froze them. For a buck apiece it paid to buy more.

    ReplyDelete