Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pickles And Onions

(from The Farm Journal)

Old-fashioned, country fresh flavor

8 (4") cucumbers, cut in 1" chunks
3/4 lb. small white onions
Vinegar
Water
5 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
1 pt. vinegar

- Cover cucumbers and onions (2 1/2 c. large onion slices may be used) with equal parts of vinegar and water; bring to boil. Remove immediately from vinegar and water; discard liquid.
- Fill hot jars with pickles and onions. Add 1 tsp. salt to each half-pint jar. Combine sugar and 2 c. vinegar; boil 2 minutes. Pour over pickles. Adjust lids at once. Process in boiling water bath (212f) 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner and complete seals unless closures are self sealing type.

Makes 5 half pints.

1 comment:

  1. Wease
    This is an excellent idea! I hope many come here. I was just commenting to Gryphen because things are pretty screwed up in Alaska that he better get prepared because this is just beginning and will get a hell of a lot worse!

    I used to make my own pickles and pickle-lily however you say it! Got rid of all my canning jars but specialized in veggies that stored for the winter.

    I am friends with town counselors and I plan on bringing the idea up to them when the time comes to use some of our town land near the prison that is still farmed to feed wildlife to be turned to a town farm to help feed the residents.

    I think we are pretty lucky here being rural and still having at least one meat processor here and many facilities that can be converted back. I already talked to one counselor but they are generally well off and do not see the brevity of the situation yet.

    ReplyDelete